Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Glitter

I'm not a morning person - never have been and in my 33 years on this earth it's safe to say I never will be. I would love to be one of those people who can bounce out of bed before the alarm finishes going off (like Drew) but it's not in the cards for me. Every morning getting out of bed is like dragging 50-pound wool blankets from my body. I don't begin to join the world until I've finished brushing my teeth. This morning was no different.

Drew bounded out of bed and let Maya out while I groggily struggled to pull myself upright. He then got in the shower while I struggled to take her on a walk, still half asleep. Maya hasn't grasped leash control yet so it's a fight to go a couple of blocks. She wants to explore everything and all the other people in the neighborhood walking their dogs in the morning make it that much more difficult. We spend most of the time pulling - her pulling on the leash to be let go, me pulling on the leash to keep her in line.

Fully awake now, I return home and put her back in the crate so I can get in the shower. I washed my hair and when I got out I decided to try the ringlets my stylist did for me on Saturday when I got my hair trimmed. Never try a new hairstyle in the morning when you're already pressed for time and the dog is not cooperating.

I start twirling my hair. And keep twirling. And keep twirling. Henry did it a lot faster at the salon - of course he didn't have to struggle to get out of bed and then fight to walk a dog. But I couldn't stop in the middle so I had to keep on going till I was finished. Drew left and Maya started freaking out - she doesn't like being in her crate if she can tell one of us is home. So I let her out and keep her in the bathroom with me while I keep twirling. I'm still in my underwear and I hear the bus go by - which means I'll have to drive to work today, which means no applying makeup on the way to work. It's 8:03 - I'm supposed to leave the house by 8.

Done with the last ringlet I run to the other bathroom to slap some lotion on and get dressed. Of course, I run out of lotion. I remembered my mom had gotten me some other lotion that was in the back of the cabinet that I hardly used because it was shimmery. 'How bad can it be?' I slap some on my arms, distractedly noticing it's rather shimmery but whatever. I run to the closet, throw some clothes on, take Maya out one more time before I leave and dash out the door. It's 8:10.

On the way to work, I finally take notice of my arms. I look like Edward Cullen when he steps in the sun!!! This isn't shimmer lotion - this is stripper-going-out-on-Saturday-night lotion! It's not shimmer, it's like foil or something! I frantically rub my arms and of course it's not going anywhere. Thank God it wasn't on my legs (wore a skirt today) or my face. I look like the Tin Man!

*sigh* At least my hair looks good.


3 comments:

  1. Your post made me laugh! You know you are going to the club after work. You need to shimmer! And like you said, at least your hair looks good right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, all I need is my platfom clear heels and I'm good to go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this gave me a much needed laught today! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin