Monday, July 20, 2009

Playing dress-up and Sonic Sundays

Friday night Drew and I got out of the house for our date night. We went to Fuse to see Steve as we hadn't seen him pretty much since we moved in the house. He's on a restaurant schedule which is opposite ours so getting time together has been somewhat difficult. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see him Friday either. We were going to have dinner with him at the restaurant but they were slammed when we arrived so we barely had a chance to say hello while he was running around like crazy. While we waited, Drew and I caught up with each other - he'd been out of town and I really missed him! I really like hanging out with him, he's a cool kid. We had a couple of appetizers while we waited for him but then left as we were concerned about leaving Maya in her crate for too long. We're such parents.

Saturday morning I taught a yoga class at our old apartment. The guy there runs a boot-camp fitness program and wanted to bring some yoga in to promote flexibility. The first time I taught I had a good turn out and this time it was a bit more intimate. Some people don't feel like it's a workout unless you're getting yelled at through a megaphone and you want to throw up when it's done. For those, yoga is a bit tougher of a sell, but it's all good. Me and my four students had a great time and we broke a great sweat thank you very much.

The thing is, I love teaching and I love hanging out with my students afterward, chatting or answering questions. I don't want to be that person who rushes off when class is over - it doesn't feel right to me. However, I had to be at my girlfriend Betsy's house at 12:30 and I didn't watch the clock! I didn't get home till 11:30 which left practically no time to shower, get dressed and drive 30 minutes to her house. Naturally, I was late and I left the house at 12:10 with sopping wet hair. I drove up there, twirling the whole way. I wonder what that ticket would look like: driving while twirling.....

Betsy is renewing her vows next year and we all met at her house to try on our dresses and drink. I mean, try on dresses. I can't help it if there was wine there! It would have been rude not to partake! I love that we have our dresses but she's still not sure about food, flowers, music or venue. Who cares - we had an awesome time playing dress-up, laughing, laying on Betsy's bed ooohing and aaaahing over her dress, complimenting each other, drinking wine, and of course, taking pictures!


I'm not a hundred percent sure what Meredith was doing but I'm sure glad I got a shot!
 When I showed her she just cracked up laughing!



Then we all piled into Betsy's car and went to look for shoes. I have done really well not shopping since we moved in to the house and I'm doing really well getting my debts paid off. However, I'm not made of stone -- if you put me in a shoe store I will buy something! They didn't have the shoes that we're all going to wear in my size, but I sure did find the cutest heels ever in the sale section! I didn't even feel that bad because they were $30 marked down from $70 - I can't pass up savings like that! At least that's what I told Drew - I even bought him some socks but he still shook his head at me. Oh well.

I finally left Betsy's after getting the 'are you ever coming home?' text from Drew. I guess he'd had enough of having the house to himself - Maya had spent the day at the groomer's. So I came home and we ordered pizza and watched tv, which was plenty fine with me as I'd had a good amount of wine at Betsy's and was getting sleepy.


Sunday we went to Lowe's (again - they should have a frequent shopper program or something) and got stuff to hang pictures. We're mounting the tv above the fireplace so we moved all the living room furniture around and the living room looks amazing! Before, we just wanted to get stuff in there and situated and we didn't give much thought to placement. But now, it really feels like a living room and the space feels so much bigger. And now that the tv cabinet is no longer needed, it's in the dining room and we're going to repurpose it. When I saw this post on Dusty's blog, I got ridiculously giddy. I told Drew we could either make it a baby cabinet and put it in the second bedroom or make it a bar and put it in the dining room. He chose bar. *scratching my head*

Since Lowe's is fast becoming a weekend tradition, we often find ourselves hitting the Sonic on the way out from Lowe's. We're wearing a path in the road - Lowe's, Sonic, grocery store. This Sunday was no different. Armed with our giant Limeades, we went to my favorite place - the Mexican grocery store!
It's such a fun place - they make homemade tortillas right in front of you.
The bakery is ridiculous - everything is so fresh and you really just want to stand there and stuff your face until they drag you away. And I'm not even that much of a sweet tooth!



The meat section takes up the entire rear of the store. There's a person with a headset herding all the people - you have to take a number to get helped, and it's all in Spanish. The first time Drew went to the store, he came back and told me that he was the only White guy in there and that I would love it. He wasn't mistaken - I love going there! The food, music, signs and smells all remind me of my childhood. One time the guy behind the counter motioned to help Drew - I guess he felt sorry for the White boy that didn't speak Spanish. I wasn't standing right next to him and he just went up to get the meat from the guy without getting a number and waiting to be called. The headset lady spotted him and said all loud,'We'd appreciate it if all of our esteemed clients would please get a number and wait for it to be called before approaching the counter.' Of course, it was all in Spanish and I immediately knew who she was talking about and I rushed over there to apologize, that we hadn't been here before and we didn't know the rules. She wasn't impressed -- now we always wait our turn, no matter what. They're serious in the meat department!
The dairy department is fun because they have a mooing cow over the loudspeakers and it just cracks me up. I was trying to get Drew to make a cow face (not sure what that is myself) but he just thought I was weird for taking pictures in the grocery store.
They have a lot of brands that you usually only find in Mexico or Mexican grocery stores. They sell a lot of the candies that I used to eat at my grandmother's house and every time I see them I smile. Bimbo, Fud, and Lala are pretty popular Mexican brands and the names alone make me smile.It's a total family affair and it's not uncommon to see huge families shopping together, kids piled into the shopping carts and even hanging off the sides. It's cute, but it makes it somewhat difficult to navigate the aisles. This is not a get-in and get-out kind of spot. It's an event, an adventure and there's even a mascot!
And to top it all off, you can even get shoes and hats at the grocery store. This one doesn't have a jewelry store though - that would be awesome.And no Mexican grocery store is complete without prayer candles. You can pick those up right next to the masa for making tamales and head one aisle over to get your pinata too! I love Sonic Sundays and the Mexican grocery store!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin