Friday, May 15, 2009

By my fingernails

I thought a new house and a new dog at the same time would be an okay idea, sort of to get the upheaval over with in one fell swoop. What do I know.

Instead, I feel like I'm constantly two steps behind, never able to catch up, failing at everything. No time for the house, not enough time for the dog, and there was a boyfriend in there somewhere. I fall into bed at night, hovering between asleep and awake striving to hear the puppy's whimpering, wondering if she's just crying or if she needs to go out. She's just a baby, she doesn't have bladder control yet, it's not her fault. I need to do a better job, but I'm always two steps behind.

I'm so frustrated and sad; I feel that if I'm messing it up with a dog, I'm pretty sure I'll suck as a mother. That's probably why I haven't had kids. Everything I read says if you don't do it right while they're a puppy, they'll be horrible dogs and I'm terrified of that. I don't want a 100-lb. dog biting me or knocking me over because they don't know any better. I can't give up but I don't know if I have what it takes.

Please hurry...

2 comments:

  1. Kids are waaay easier than dogs. Seriously.

    1. They have diapers.
    2. They sleep more.
    3. It's socially acceptable (and expected) to take them everywhere with you.
    4. They're easier to love, therefore you never think of them as a burden.

    You will be fantastic mother Desiree! You just have a lot on your plate right now. New houses are overwhelming and exhausting, because you feel like there's nowhere to relax---work and projects are constantly in front of you! I'll be praying for you today, but cut yourself some slack. Remember, life is a marathon, not a sprint. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, then can I trade in the dog for a kid? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin