Friday, May 1, 2009

Paris in pictures

Between the two of us, we took over 300 pictures. There's no way I would bore you with all of them - unless you really want me to... I put them on my computer at work and I have viewed the slideshow no fewer than 20 times since Tuesday. It was everything I dreamed it would be and more. Everyone keeps asking what was my favorite part but that's like asking what my favorite book is. There's no way to pick one thing from the dream experience of a lifetime. I was tickled to simply walk down the street and be able to understand the snippets of conversations I overheard. I loved talking to the hotel, restaurant etc. people and have them speak back to me in French! They didn't immediately dismiss me and speak in English and that was so cool!! It was the dream of my life to see the Eiffel Tower and to lay eyes on it the first time was so moving. I didn't think I would get to see Paris, or if I did I would be an old woman. To see it with young eyes, to lay on the grass and look up at it was so incredibly powerful.

HUGE MASSIVE THANK YOU to my awesome boyfriend for making this happen. Baby, despite the nonsense it was a wonderful trip and thank you so much for taking me. I love you!!

Now for some pictures!The shuttle dropped us off at the Arc de Triomphe - I took this from the taxi. My first monument in Paris!


My beloved Eiffel Tower - I played with the photo effects in Picasa.

Fish lips under the Eiffel Tower.



We were on the Champs-Elysees. The literal translation for window-shopping in French is 'to lick windows'. Since that was a very expensive Armani bag all I could do was lick the window.

At a cafe across from Notre Dame - or was it the Louvre?


Drew in front of Notre Dame - a lot of the pictures are of only one of us. We were paranoid about giving either of our cameras to strangers.


Arc de Triomphe at night - they hang a giant French flag in the middle and it's soooo cool.

Drew in front of the pyramid at the Louvre.

Us in front of the Mona Lisa. It was ridiculously crowded and kind of uncomfortable. Lots of shoving and cameras and general rudeness - we got the picture and left that room.

Admiring the opulence in Napoleon's apartments.


This is so Drew.


There is no one more stubborn than my man.

Dinner at the tres chic French restaurant with the Eiffel Tower lit up and sparkling in the distance.

In the Grand Salon/Hall of Mirrors at Versailles. Again, nasty crowded with lots of pushing and shoving but still totally worth it. We both were enthralled by the opulence of the ceiling here and at the Louvre. We took tons of pictures of the ceilings.

Looking out over the gardens at Versailles - Louis XIV's backyard was 65 acres!! Marie Antoinette had her own smaller palace at the other end of the gardens. Marital bliss, anyone??


The train ride back to the hotel from Versailles - we were kind of loopy from walking a kabillion miles, I mean metres that day.


My new screensaver.

Like I said, I have a ton more pictures. There were beautiful gardens everywhere and there were people just hanging out, reading, chatting with friends and playing with their kids. Drew got some great shots of the gorgeous flowers and overall it was a wonderful time. I couldn't have asked for better weather - even when it rained it seemed appropriate somehow. It truly is a magical romantic city and I'm so glad we got to go.


Ah Paris...

2 comments:

  1. I love the pic of you in front of the tower and that very last pic...was the last one altered? It's breathtaking.

    So the people spoke French back, wonderful! Were they friendly? Rude? Amused?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Paris is when I fell in love with traveling and Europe in genearl.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin