Monday, May 4, 2009

Home Sweet Home!!

Oh my gosh I can't believe we did it! Finally finally finally we moved in Friday night. Poor Drew did hard labor from 8a-12:30a getting everything moved in. I've never seen him so exhausted - he was staggering by the end of the night. I had to work so I couldn't pitch in until after but I spent the entire day on Saturday getting everything unpacked and put away.

With each box I opened and subsequently threw out, I felt progressively lighter. A very real weight has been sitting squarely on my shoulders since February. That's how long we've been living out of boxes - February 20 to be exact. That was the day we were to have moved to the townhouse. We had been living like squatters in the apartment, surrounded by the boxes, pictures taken down from the walls, subsisting on the bare essentials so we wouldn't have to unpack everything. Let me tell you, it takes a toll on your mental health and it was taking a toll on our relationship. You underestimate how important your living space is to you - at least it is to me. I thrive on order and having the place where I live, my sanctuary, in such a state of upheaval was so incredibly stressful.

But I am elated to say, it's over!! I was overjoyed to unpack those boxes - it was like Christmas because I hadn't seen these things in so long. I lovingly put all my books on our built-in bookshelves and just stood there looking at them. They had a home - I have a home. I unpacked all the suitcases that had been piled up at the apartment and joyfully folded all the clothes and put them in our dressers. The sense of relief that washed over me was so healing - it's hard living like you're homeless! So many times, I would go for something only to remember it was in some box somewhere.

But again, I have learned another valuable lesson. This has made me stronger and I know it has it has strengthened our relationship. I feel like we have been tested and we've passed - with a C- but we passed and that's all that matters! Sometimes you gotta win dirty.

Sunday we went to BigLots, Ross, Target and Home Depot in search of home organizing stuff and I was so excited! We got kitchen and shower organizers and scoped out closet organizers. You should have seen me - I had a little notepad and was writing down measurements of all these things to check when I got home - I'm so HGTV. Drew is gone for the next three days so I've got the closets to myself and my goal is to have it all in place and organized when he comes home. I'm honestly wishing I were at home right now so I could be doing it. I'm fantasizing about shelves and drawers and labels - I think I'm developing a habit.

Cheesy moment coming...



I'm finally starting to exhale. (I know, I know.)

*Home sweet Home*

At first I felt weird putting up a picture of the house but then I looked on Google Earth and there's a photo of it so I figured since it's already out there why not. However, I'm not sure about posting pics of the inside - for some reason, I'm feeling kind of protective of my house....

4 comments:

  1. That is the cutest house ever!!!! I'm so excited for you! Hey, you might like this blog that I've been checking out. It's called theletteredcottage.blogspot.com. It's all about decorating Pottery Barn style on a shoestring budget---I'm obsessed with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I got the closets done last night and I'm going to Target and The Container Store for organizers! I'll definitely check out that blog - now that the unpacking is done, we can start decorating!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you that you're finally moved in!

    Thanks for following my blog. ^_^

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest house ever!!!! I'm so excited for you! Hey, you might like this blog that I've been checking out. It's called theletteredcottage.blogspot.com. It's all about decorating Pottery Barn style on a shoestring budget---I'm obsessed with it!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin