Thursday, May 7, 2009

Maya

Drew has been after me for the longest about getting a dog. I didn't grow up with one and the closest I got to being a pet-owner was a cat I had for a couple of months a few years ago before I found out I was deathly allergic. I'm not averse to dogs but let's just say Marley and Me confirmed all my fears about them. It was a cute movie though.

But Drew has wanted one since forever and I finally gave in. I told him that we could get one once we had a yard. Now that we have a yard, we have a dog. A charcoal lab puppy with grey eyes to be exact. She's super cute and she was there when I got home from work yesterday.

Her first night went as well as can be expected - she spent equal time running around and then conking out. It was so cute, she was snuggling with us on the sofa as we watched tv. Bedtime was a different story - Drew already decided to stay home with her for a month or so while she gets used to the crate and while we're house-training her. But the crate didn't go over so well with her - she wasn't interested and cried most of the night to let us know. Poor baby - Drew ended up taking her out to the front room and sleeping with her there because I still have to work and I needed to get some sleep. This morning she was already up and ready when I came out to the front room to get her. She's really a cute little thing and she has the funniest little walk - it's almost like she's switching her hips but on a puppy it's just adorable.

Now we have a house, a puppy and it feels pretty good. I'm scoping out puppy training articles and scouring craigslist for furniture I can refinish and use. I think I found a vanity and that makes me so excited!


So without further ado...She digs the carrot - we've been shoving every possible chew toy in her mouth so she won't bite us or chew the furniture. So far so good...

This one shows her eyes a little better - she's so cute!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, as a fellow puppy-mom, I have to tell you what we've learned about the crate. We only crate her at night and when we leave the house. They do cry at first. A friend told me that it would take 5 days before they stopped. It only took Zoe four days. Whew. This might sound cruel, but we actually put the crate in an area of the house where we couldn't hear her howl until she stopped. Now we keep it in our room next to our bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't know it only took a week. I was thinking it would take months before she'd get used to the crate. That makes me feel a lot better! I'm just nervous about the potty-training - I hope that doesn't take too long!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin