Monday, June 1, 2009

Piece by piece

Our weekends have been officially devoted to house stuff. Every morning we wake up early (courtesy of the dog) and we hit the ground running. Thankfully, the structural things were done before we moved in so there was no renovation or painting for us to do. All we have to do is decorate, which is a daunting task because there are many more rooms to fill not to mention all the outside. Again, thankfully, Drew and I have similar taste so we don't fight (too much) over decor. He won't give me full reign and let me do what I want (major pouty face) but I'm winning small victories and I guess that's what matters. The yard is Drew's domain and he couldn't be happier - he comes in all sweaty and tired but there is always a small but giddy smile on his face because he's been playing in the dirt and all boys love playing in the dirt.

My project is the inside - I want it to look like a home and I set about finishing the bathrooms. Have a look!
The picture on the left is his - it's a shot of Broadway and the one over the towel bar is mine - I got it in Puerto Vallarta and it was done entirely with coffee beans. I wish I didn't have to have it framed - you can totally smell the coffee!
These are horizontal marble tiles that have a warm orangey-brown tint that perfectly matched the bath stuff that we already had in the loft! We swapped out the white wooden blinds for a bamboo shade that echoes the horizontal pattern of the tiles.
The previous owners hung the curtain rod super high and then suspended it with chains. We loved it so much we did the same thing.

Just outside this bathroom are our lovely rose bushes. We keep saying we're going to prune them and get them healthy and then the weekend gets away from us. We have to do early morning or late night because it's on the sunny side of the house and it was a 90 degree weekend and I wasn't about to stand out there with no shade! Not even a little bit. However, I will step outside for a quick second to take some pictures....

Apparently, they're antique roses and are super expensive to plant. Bonus for us! I don't know anything about roses but these smell divine and I love seeing them in the house. The blooms don't last very long - either that or my thumb isn't the greenest and they also have little bugs on them so we have to figure out what those are. We have three or four bushes and they're pretty big on their own - I'm looking forward to what they'll look like with some TLC. Drew spent most of the day Sunday cleaning up the landscaping in the front of the house. We had these hideous purple cabbage-looking things in the front and even before we got the house I told him those things would have to go. So he cleaned up all the front and now we have to figure out what we want in it's place. It's kind of exciting - I'm thinking lots and lots of big flowers!

Now if we could only potty-train the dog. The pooping in the house is driving me insane. We have her in the crate all day while we're gone and she's ok with that. And praise the baby Jesus, she slept all night last night! But the pooping---lawd, the pooping! We got one of those pen things so she doesn't have to be cooped up in the crate when we're home and I pray on everything that it will work - I'm not a fan of giving her full run of the house but she's so full of energy. She was in the pen all day yesterday out front with Drew and she seemed ok. Having a dog is no joke - cats are so much easier...

We did have fun watching her with other dogs though. For some reason, everyone in our neighborhood has a giant dog and until a few days ago, we couldn't take Maya out because she hadn't had all her shots. Sunday, our neighbor brought over his giant dog and Maya went nuts. It was cute to watch - he was just laying on the grass watching her jump and run around like a crazy and he even tolerated her climbing all over him. I think that's why she slept all night - she was worn out! I'm trying to like her, I really am...
Fun with the beach towel - I have no idea why Drew's shorts are wet

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin