Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Living Green

I'm all about recycling, cloth bags at the store, not being wasteful and all that stuff. Every time Drew leaves the water running while he brushes his teeth or forgets the cloth bags, I always say 'Baby, Mother Earth!' as I turn off the faucet or shove a bag into his hands.

Lately, I've been hounding him because I want us to start composting. We eat lots of veggies and I just hate throwing away the ends and other things that we could use now that we have a garden. So I go to the trusty internet and my most favorite design blog This Young House to learn how to make a compost bin.

Seriously, Drew is the greatest boyfriend ever. He plays along with me naming our flowers, he holds me when I cry, and he made a compost bin for me! Sunday, armed with my info from the blog, we went to Lowe's to get the bins. We came straight back home because I was so excited to start composting! I know, I'm a dork.
Can't you just hear him thinking 'you see what I do for you woman?' He's so good to me. We put our food scraps in there and put the bins outside the fence so the dog wouldn't get them. Imagine my disappointment when he told me that the dumb garbage men came and took them! I was so sad - oh well, guess we're going back to Lowe's! As for the inside of the house, my only dilemma was the compost keeper - I needed something for the kitchen that was airtight. I called around and no one had anything. Bed Bath and Beyond used to carry them which would only help if I used to want one. We decided to take a nap and it seriously came to me in my sleep! You think I'm joking...

I had in mind something with a squeezy lid that made an airtight seal when you released the handles. I knew exactly what I wanted ---- because I'd already seen it! In my very own pantry. Behold our compost keeper! Airtight seal, no odor and it was FREE! Yea me! We have two and they were just sitting in the pantry at the loft - I'm so glad we didn't throw them out because they're perfect. If you start composting let me know, I've got an extra one of these little guys. Drew grilled that night and he made a big deal about giving me the corn husks and the cobs to put in our compost keeper. He's so cute!

Drew is an amazing cook and the grill is my new favorite thing. I'm not a huge fan of veggies but when they're grilled I will tear them up! Drew always has a towel over his shoulder and makes faces when he cooks - I love his cooking faces. There is an awesome Mexican grocery store up the street and they have the best everything - tortillas, meat, cheap produce (20 oranges for $1!) and we love going there; it's an adventure for us. He made us fajitas and they were so gooood! Later that night, our friend Milton came over - you remember Milton right? Well, he stopped by and he brought his dog Mikey over to say hi. Mikey is the sweetest pitbull in existence. Granted, Milton worked hard to get him to be nice but he it paid off and Mikey is a teddy bear. Having him in the house made me realize how small Maya is but how big she's going to get. Yippee. However, Mikey's seven and not super tolerant of jumpy little puppies. He growled at Maya but honestly, I didn't blame him - she annoys me sometimes too.


This was me and Mikey at Thanksgiving.






Anyway, Drew was playing around with Mikey and Maya and trying to get them to sit at the same time and he actually was able to do it! I only got one picture but it was adorable!

Yes, the dog is growing on me. She hasn't pooped in the house in a while *knock on wood*, she hardly ever bites, and she's got a little personality that's really cute. I keep reminding myself that she's only four months old when I get annoyed that she pees on the floor but I can't help but wish that part was already over. Oh well, thank God for hardwood floors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin