Thursday, June 18, 2009

And the moral of this story is...

I'm still thinking about my dad but something happened yesterday that I just have to write about. Tuesday night my phone died. It froze while I was trying to check my voicemail and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I had full bars so I didn't think it was the battery so I was dreading the possibility that I'd have to get another phone. Things only break when you have no money so I was of course not happy as I feel I'm making great headway paying my bills.

Yesterday I called Sprint to find out what my recourse was because I although I needed a new phone, I didn't want to extend my contract. I'm over Sprint and I want out. Of course, the customer service drone was of no help, telling me that if I take advantage of the upgrade I've earned as a loyal customer, I would be agreeing to another two year contract. In order to avoid extending it, I'd have to simply buy a new phone outright - to the tune of $170!!! Why? Because the last time my battery died they told me they no longer make the battery for that phone. $170 was the cheapest phone they had, and it was so raggedy and ghetto looking besides!! I got more angry as I felt my options slipping away. $200 to end my contract, or pay $170 to buy a new phone. I wanted to spend that money on house stuff, not a stupid ghetto-ass phone from stupid ghetto-ass Sprint. I fired off an all caps email to Drew telling him how pissed I was at stupid Sprint.

The rest of the day I fumed, angry that I was going to have to buy a phone to keep from extending my contract, angry that they were inconveniencing me, that I'd have to go after work and not go straight home to let the dog out, that those extra hours would make her bladder burst, and it's all Sprint's fault. (A little irrational I know, but I was pissed.)

By the time I left work, I was in a totally worked-up state but by the time I arrived in the parking lot of the Sprint store, I took a second in my car to prepare for the nightmare. This store is notorious for long wait times, stupid retail people and just all around drama. I hate going in there. However, I couldn't avoid it so and I didn't want to be one of those people who comes in, guns blazing and everyone else in the store turns to look because you're making an idiot of yourself. I calmed myself, went in calmly, and calmly gave my name to the dude at the front who was dealing with a guy who was carrying on about being a taxpaying American citizen and he didn't have to put up with this. Yeah, one of those people. I sat down, wishing I had a book because I knew it was going to be a minute before anyone got to me.

I sat there, judging everything: the trashcan needed to be emptied, the carpet was ugly and looked dirty, some ghetto ass kid was walking around with his basketball shorts around his knees - don't they realize they look like idiots? Stupid Sprint customers. It made me even more mad that I couldn't get out of my contract with these dummies. I joined a million years ago because we got a volume discount when I was with United and I just put up with the nonsense because I couldn't be bothered to switch. But this, THIS was the last straw! I'm going to AT&T and I'm getting an iPhone!

So they call my name after a suprisingly short time and I compose myself as I walk to the counter. I smile, greet the guy and hand him my phone, telling him that I can only get the welcome screen when I turn on my phone so I would need to fix my phone or get a new one, hoping he wouldn't confirm what the customer service lady told me earlier. He takes my phone, is gone for little bit, comes back and my phone is working! He 'found' a battery in the back (turns out it was the battery), popped it in and presto, working phone. How much did this cost me, you ask? ZERO dollars. I was super grateful, thanked Preston (that was his name) and practically skipped out.

Drew is the king of blowing up when something he planned doesn't go his way and I'm always the yoga one, telling him to breathe, to chill out, that there is another solution, another path and we just have to find it. But there I was, fuming and pissy because I let my fear that this financial setback would derail my efforts, afraid that I wouldn't be able to get back on track, upset that this was an already tight month and feeling sorry for myself that it was going to be even tighter. All that for nothing!! I pulled a Drew and I couldn't believe myself. I let my fear get the best of me and I let my fear make the situation worse than was warranted. Geez.

I made it home, Maya's bladder was intact and we had a great night together. Best of all, we had no accidents in the house! I never let her out of my sight and as a result was easily able to tell when she had to go potty and avoided a mess. This in turn reduced my anxiety level about potential messes and I was able to enjoy the dog and she could tell. We had good old time with her sticks, blankets and stuffed animals.

So, next time something like this happens I will remind myself to breathe, that there is a solution to every problem and if there is no solution, it's not a problem.

It's just life and we have to deal. Peace out, y'all!

4 comments:

  1. Can you please rub some of that yoga zen off on me please?

    I am super high strung, so when a wrench is thrown into the mix, I freak. *I* would have been the person going into Sprint ready to rip someone a new one. I wish I were different, but your train of thought..Maya's bladder bursting, then blaming Sprint for the mess, would totally be ME.

    As I get older, I've chilled some. I used to fly off the handle at everything. I'm slowly learning to exercise some damn self control. My mother tells me often "You'll get more with sugar than you will with vinegar"

    Maybe I should take Yoga.

    But the moral is you didn't have to fork out a obscene amount of money for a silly new phone. And that's all that matters :)

    P.S. I hate Sprint too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost ten years of yoga and a few years of therapy and I still lose it from time to time, so don't worry. I'll tell anyone who listens that yoga is the best thing ever and it has saved me. If you ever go, be sure to let me know what you thought.

    If you need a recommendation, I know pretty much all the good studios in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will admit that Sprint sucks. I find change to be a hard thing... Besides, my hubby works for Sprint and I can't bite the hand that feeds us.

    I'm glad that your experience turned out to be a decent one. There are some employees that are very helpful and really know the meaning of customer service....

    Way to go on NOT loosing your cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will admit that Sprint sucks. I find change to be a hard thing... Besides, my hubby works for Sprint and I can't bite the hand that feeds us.

    I'm glad that your experience turned out to be a decent one. There are some employees that are very helpful and really know the meaning of customer service....

    Way to go on NOT loosing your cool.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin