Friday, June 12, 2009

Two steps forward, one step back

There's a saying in Texas: If you don't like the weather, wait a couple of minutes and it'll change. Actually, they say that in Kansas too. Anyway, yesterday we had ridiculous storms that woke me up in the middle of the night Wednesday and continued for much of the day Thursday. We even made national news! We were blessed - our power outage was only brief and we had no structural damage. Our poor neighbors just had their trees trimmed only to have even more branches fall with the storms. And while we had no branches, our poor flower beds got the crap beat out of them. So, guess what we're doing this weekend!









Scarlett Number 1 and 2 were all dirty and some of their blooms got battered.






Scarlett Number 3 and Frank got their nice pretty mulch and compost bed practically washed away.

Laurel had some blooms though!



I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be on the flower beds.


And poor Maya, the thunderstorms scared me and she definitely wasn't a fan. Plus, I think there was something in the air because she's been a bit rowdy the past couple of days. She knows how to go to her crate and goes willingly, but once she's there she puts up the biggest racket! You'd think someone was poking the poor thing with voodoo needles. Oh well, progress isn't a linear path.

I'm meeting with one of the HR bosses over lunch. Now that I've been here six months, I'm eligible to apply for other positions. I don't mind being a receptionist but as I've said a million times, I can do more. I'd really like to get into HR but it's the catch-22 of no job without experience and you can't get the experience without the job. However, my company has a strong practice of promoting from within and that encourages me. Plus, I'd really like to stay here - the people are really great, it's super convenient to home and from my perch at the front desk it's a good place to work. So fingers crossed that my meeting with her goes well!

2 comments:

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin