Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sucked in

The TV in the lobby keeps me up to date with current events and I, like millions of others I'm sure, got sucked in to the Jon and Kate saga. Okay, I hope there are millions of others because if not I'm a massive loser. I wouldn't normally comment on this stuff but I am livid!

So yeah, I had Drew record it last night. And yeah, I stayed up late to watch it. You did too (please say you did too). Anyway, I couldn't believe what I was watching! They're separating and most likely will divorce but what got me is that assface Jon is excited about the new chapter in his life. If Drew wasn't sleeping and Maya wasn't behaving I would have gone off! EXCITED?! Like, 'wow I'm glad that pesky having eight kids thing is done, what's next?'

And I'm not letting Kate off the hook - at times she was a straight up A-1 beeotch to her husband and that's absolutely unacceptable. A man will stay with you for how you make him feel, nothing else. If you make him feel ten feet tall and bulletproof, he will walk through fire for you. If you beat him down 24-7, don't get surprised when he goes looking for the one who will make him feel that way. Not that that's the answer though. Cheating is for cowards, straight-up.

But instead of talking to each other, instead of saying 'yo, quit talking to me like that', and 'please help me more with the kids', they just want to give up? You people have a family and you have a responsibility to those kids, end of story.

I would say go to counseling but too many people go to counseling with the attitude and mind-set that one foot is already out the door; they just want to say 'we tried counseling and it didn't work'. Therapists are not magicians, they don't have all the answers. They are simply people who have been trained to listen, to ask good questions and to guide you in finding the solutions that work for you and your life.

And this crap that the show must go on? Are you f*cking kidding me? You cancel that show and concentrate on your kids. I believe divorce is a legal form of child abuse - divorce damages children, period. Not irreparably, but it does. Children need stability, routine and structure to grow and thrive and build a solid foundation. I mean, my parents fought - I distinctly remember times I wished they would just divorce and have done with it. And I don't believe you should stay together just for the kids.

But I do believe that you got married for a reason - that you once loved each other, that you once honored a commitment and you can find that place again. Marriage is not all sunshine and roses all the time. You cannot mush two people together with two completely different upbringings and expect them to instantly and harmoniously live the same life. And then add eight flippin kids to the mix? Yeah right, you're not going to have problems. But good God, that's life. You don't give up on life! You don't give up on each other - you don't. give. up. You have eight little kids counting on you.

I never really watched that show but man, this struck a chord with me. When did we as a society get so weak? Life is never what you sign up for, otherwise no one would ever get out of bed. In marriage, it's normal to fall in and out of love but through it all you honor your commitment, which is not contingent on the state of your panties/boxers at that moment. It's about building a home, providing a foundation and weathering the storms.

They're both punks. He's a punk for cheating on her; she's a punk for bullying him.

Those poor babies. *getting off my soapbox*

5 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head. I think Jon is only leaving for another woman. He may not have felt 100% satisfied, but someone has given him some much-needed ego strokes. (They do stay because of how you make them feel about themselves.) And while I think Kate could have done better, I'm angrier at him, because I think he tolerated her behavior for too long, and she grew to think it was "okay" with him. And also, someone has to focus on those kids---she didn't have time to build Jon up! She had 8 freaking kids to raise! And I think I despise him for being "excited" about the future. I bet his kids aren't excited. Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree with you more. We need to pray for those babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to watch this show all the time, then had too many Tivo-ed so I cancelled it. Kinda wish I didn't now. I am trying to find last night's episode online but can't :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh shoot. I was so disgusted, I erased it the second it was over. Now I wish I'd kept it for you. But you know, give it a couple of days and I'm sure the whole thing will be on youtube or hulu or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found a repeat tonight and we just watched it. It is truely sad. I mean yeah, we can point fingers who is wrong, but I feel most sad for those little kids.

    Her and Octo-mom should start hanging out. Yeesh

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin