Thursday, June 25, 2009

Me and the dude

A little story in words and pictures recorded for posterity...

I started to tell this in third person, but that got really annoying really fast so I'll just give it to you straight.
Drew and I met in late March 2008. I was on match.com looking for looooove. No, not really - I just wanted to meet somebody and see what happened and what better way to increase your odds than to go where they gather? I had just finished yoga teacher training and was feeling all enlightened and wanted something more than the bar scene. I loved going out but at most you meet a couple of guys a night at the bar and unless you're going out every weekend those are some raggedy odds. However, online you could pick and choose from a plethora of men. So that was my plan.

So anyway, I'm on match and I'm going out for coffee/drinks almost every night I could. I meant business people! But very quickly I got burnt the hell out. There are some really nice guys out there but there are some crazies too; it's pretty much the same as the real world.

Well, I signed up for a month but I missed the cutoff day to cancel the subscription so it automatically renewed me for another month. Crap. More dates, more duds.

I was super worn out when, the last week of my subscription I emailed some guy and it pops up three other guys 'you might like'. It gave a percentage of compatibility based on what each of you wrote and this one guy was a 100% match. I'd never seen him before either and he was kind of cute. Hmmm....

I emailed him, telling him I was done in a week and I'd like to go out on a positive note and did he want to help me. He emailed back, says sure and we set it up. He was the second to the last guy I went out with after power-dating for two months. Suffice to say, I was over it and I didn't really care to bother with pretense. I threw a cute shirt in the car and after I left the yoga studio I met him for drinks.

'Oh, well he's a cutie', I thought as I walk up. 'Might not be so bad after all'. Awesome conversation, and all the while I'm sizing him up. Good eyes, good smile, articulate, clean fingernails, dresses well. Hmmmmm......

So yeah, we had a lot to drink and yeah we made out on the first date. He was cute - sue me.

That was a Tuesday, our first date (that I actually showered for) was that Friday. He took me to the restaurant that his best friend runs (unbeknownst to me) so I could get the once-over. I passed (as if I wouldn't - he's never had it so good. Love you baby!)
By late April we're a couple, July we hosted a 4th of July party and I took him home to meet the fam (minus Dad - that's what started WWIII).

This is my brother and his girlfriend and us in our matching black. We're so cool.












September we took our first trip together. We spent Labor Day in Toronto for a wedding and his parents came over to meet us (he grew up fifteen minutes away from Canada in upstate New York). His parents are the most awesome people ever and I adore them!



Drew loves hockey and grew up playing. Once we were a couple we got season tickets to the Stars and even though I know nothing about hockey, it's so heartwarming to see his face light up when we were at the games. And of course no game is complete without the footlong hot dogs!





















In October we went to a Halloween party where Drew won second place for his costume and I finally got to wear my gangsta costume that I'd been wanting to wear for years!! Nobody recognized me and I was so happy - my little cousin saw a picture of me and said it wasn't me because I don't dress like that.



So have I mentioned that Drew is an amazing cook? Yeah, he's the bomb. At the time, I still wasn't speaking to my dad and I wouldn't be spending the holidays at home for the first time in like ever. So to make me feel better, we whipped up Thanksgiving dinner for our friends in the loft and it turns out to be the best time and it was a wonderful day, thanks to my dude! Look at my baby and our Thanksgiving spread!
















Our first Christmas was awesome - he got me a tree and everything!



In December I started keeping this blog so everything after that has been documented. I just thought I'd catch y'all up. So now you know more about us than you ever wanted to but look at it this way - when we meet in real life (I hope we do) you won't have missed anything!

4 comments:

  1. what a great story. seems like you 2 were made for each other. live each day in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, the two of you are so cute together! Thanks for the comment on my blog, you are too sweet. I wish I had taken more pictures so I could do a step by step process of how I re-covered the chair, but I totally forgot.

    I'm working on finding another chair to re-cover and if/when I do, I promise to take more pics and post them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! He's pretty much the coolest guy and I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep him! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great story. seems like you 2 were made for each other. live each day in the moment!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin