Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wish list

Our interior designer friend came to the house shortly after we moved in and gave us great advice and lots of ideas as to where to start with our decorating. I was definitely overwhelmed, never having had that much space (dining rooms are for grown-ups!). However, now that we're here and we've sort of found a living pattern I've compiled a wish list of home decorating projects.

We mainly use the master bedroom, sitting room off the master and kitchen for now. The second bedroom is holding all the leftover stuff that we have to sell, repaint or repurpose. The breakfast nook has no table, the dining room is where the patio table currently lives (it's a really nice one though, so it doesn't look too ghetto), and the front room needs a little help.

So, my to do list:
Master bedroom - I'm positively drooling over this bench from Overstock.com. It would go perfectly at the foot of the bed. And I'm so proud of myself, I'm going to wait until payday next week to get it instead of putting it on my credit card! Yea me! I have some black and white nature photos that are in the garage waiting for me to refinish them and then I'll hang those. I'd like some new curtains too. Some matching lamps for the bedside tables would finish the room, and although there's nothing wrong with our bedding, new stuff is always fun. After that, the master should be done.

Sitting room - The previous owners were geniuses and converted the small third bedroom next to ours into a sitting room with French doors connecting them. They built a big walk-in closet that I positively adore and was so happy to organize! We have Maya's crate in the sitting room along with a loveseat and my long dresser. I got a desk from Salvation Army (pictures coming) as my first refinishing project and when it's finished it'll go in the sitting room too. I'll get the same curtains as the master for continuity and maybe some cute delicate tables for the loveseat. I want to make a ribbon memo board to hang near the desk too.

Kitchen - Again, the previous owners were awesome and completely redid the kitchen so we don't have to do anything but decorate! Woot woot! I want to get cafe curtains or a shade so I can look out the window when I do dishes - right now they cover the bottom half of the window and they're a really heavy ugly fabric so I want to switch them out for something more airy and cheerful. Maybe these? We have a lot of red appliances and a red trash can and I'd hate to replace them or have to find under sink storage for them because they don't match. Although, if we don't end up doing red, that's exactly what will happen. A rug in front of the sink and a chalkboard on one wall and a corkboard on the other will finish it nicely I think. We have a ton of corks due to all the wine we consume and I think it will be a fun and personalized project for us.

I want some floating shelves in the front room to put all of our small pictures frames and maybe some plant arrangements. We have a cool chair and ottoman that we have to have reupholstered (I want a striped fabric) but beyond that I'm not sure. And the dining room?? No freakin clue. That room is definitely near the bottom of the decorating list. I also have no idea what the second bedroom wants to look like. Drew has a bed but other than that, we'll be going from scratch. There's also a solarium off that bedroom that you can access from the front room or the bedroom and we're thinking we want that to be a gardening/Sunday reading space. It's all windows and it just seems like you should be potting flowers and/or reading on a loveseat on a lazy afternoon in it. We'll see.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking so far. When I lived in an apartment, I usually had my place decorating within a month or so of living there. That's not going to happen here, and that's okay. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin